Mike has been a specialist sports lawyer since before the niche even became recognised. He joined the first sports law firm to be established in the UK straight from law school and remained there until 1999.
In 1999, Mike set up Athletes1, which is a commercial sports marketing and athlete management company, while at the same time continuing to practice as a solicitor serving his clients in the sports sector.
Mike joined Bates Wells & Braithwaite in June 2007 in order to concentrate fully on his sports law practice and to head up and strengthen the existing sports team at BWB.
Mike’s clients include national and international governing bodies of sport, event organisers, sponsors and broadcasters and the UK Sports Council, the government agency for the funding and delivery of high performance sport.
Mike is committed to sport and making the legal, regulatory and compliance environment fit for the purpose of delivering meaningful sport competition to every level of athlete. The law must serve sport, not the other way round.
Mike is an active distance runner, marathoner, triathlete and cyclist.
Examples of Recent Work
- Advising UK Sports Council on the athlete agreements to be entered into by all Lottery Funded athletes
- 2012 Paralympic Games participation issues on behalf of the International Paralympic Committee
- Legal advice and documentation for the set up of major motor racing series ‘Grand Prix Masters’
- Anti-Doping rule drafting and representing clients at anti-doping hearings
- Court of Arbitration for Sport (Lausanne) representation in disputes between governing bodies and players and their agents
- Litigation between a football world cup squad and their national association over unpaid “player pool” money
- Representation at a wide range of sport disciplinary hearings